Quarantine and Direct Release Services
Want to bring your pets with you to Maui?
Hawaii State law governs the importation of dogs, cats and other carnivores into Hawaii. This law states that dogs and cats meeting specific pre- and post-arrival requirements may qualify for 5-day-or-less quarantine program, which also has a provision for direct release at the airport after inspection.
Maui Humane Society is an approved veterinary service to inspect animals at the airport for direct release.
We have compiled a list of questions and answers that should help you with the process. Please read our Quarantine FAQs as your first step in preparing to bring your animals to Maui.
Feeling overwhelmed with the details of quarantine and traveling with your pets to Hawaii? No worries - AkonaPet can help! They are a wonderful pet relocation service that can help coordinate plans and paperwork between Quarantine and Maui Humane Society. Take away the stress of traveling by contacting AkonaPet today! (808) 937-6670 or AkonaPet.com
Donate Your Pet's Air Kennel! Once you have arrived on Maui with your pet, please consider donating your used Air Kennel to our Wings of Aloha program and save many lives in the process.
For best and most complete information and to download forms, access the state website at:
The Animal Quarantine Station can also be reached at:
1. Why do you have quarantine?
2. How long is quarantine?
3. How do you qualify for the 5-Day or Less Quarantine?
4. What if I am a Hawaii resident and I want to take my pet out of state for a short visit?
All foreign arrivals need to go through Honolulu International Airport.
5. Are the quarantine rules applied for travel between Hawaiian Islands?
6. What are the fees for MHS to do the direct release check at Kahului Airport?
7. How do I arrange for MHS to do the direct release check for my animals?
8. Make sure to download the form “Checklist for Requesting Direct Airport Release at Kona, Kahului and Lihue Airports” from the quarantine website. You must mail quarantine the appropriate forms and fees they require.
9. Not all airlines are participating in direct release on Maui. Carriers that have participated in Direct Release on Maui include Alaska Airlines, Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines. This list is subject to change at any time.Please check with your carrier.
These are general guidelines only. Owners should check the state quarantine website for more detailed information so each step is correctly followed. If owners don’t follow the necessary steps, their pets may be denied direct release at the airport and are subject to quarantine.
|Copyright © 2012 Maui Humane Society|
|Web Services provided by Meyer Computer, Inc.
Web Hosting & Design