Most dogs are at their best when they are out of the shelter. Some dogs require daily enrichment out of the shelter to keep their minds active and vibrant.
Our outing programs allow visitors and kama’aina alike to provide outing opportunities to our shelter dogs while getting to explore Maui’s beautiful aina.
Dog Outings Programs
We have recently pivoted our focus at Maui Humane Society towards providing community support and caring for the animals displaced by the recent wildfires. As a result, our regular dog outing programs have been shifting with the needs of the shelter and community. We hope to expand back to our full programming in the future. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and support as we find our footing and settle into our new norm.
Visitor Beach Buddies
- Our visitor-oriented program.
- Visitor Beach Buddies program has been put on a temporary hold effective 9/18.
Dog on Demand (DoD)
- We have reinstated our Dog on Demand program with a few adjustments.
- Are you a confident dog walker/handler? Dog on Demand’s focus is to provide outing opportunities for the dogs that need it the most to spend time out of the shelter.
- Participating dogs are often young, large, or energetic. These dogs might still be perfecting their manners or leash skills.
- Will have an opening for one online pre-registration each day via Calendly.
- The calendar slots open each day, 1 week in advance
- We may have other openings to take a Dog on Demand on a walk-in basis.
- The number of openings will vary each day (it all depends on our dogs’ needs), and we encourage you to check in with our Customer Service Representatives.
- We aren’t able to accommodate requests for guests that aren’t able to handle a large, energetic, or strong dog at this time.
- Click here for a complete overview of information and to access our booking page!
- Kama’aina Beach Buddies is available daily for trained volunteers to take a dog out.
- Our training classes for new Kama’aina Beach Buddy volunteers are on hold for the moment.
Sign up today and press PLAY with a dog for a day!
*You must be 18 years or older to sign up.*
For Maui Residents:
If you are kama’āina (resident) looking to participate with our Beach Buddies program, please go here.
- These include as a team receiving, sorting, and distributing donations for the affected animals and families in our community.
- Anyone who would like to volunteer can join us daily at a time of their convenience between 9-4, no sign-up is needed. Closed toed shoes and watter bottles recommended,
- Volunteers meet by our big rolling gate to the right as you turn into our parking lot. You will see lots of smiling faces in yellow and purple ‘volunteer’ shirts.
What to Expect
- We will provide a backpack full of supplies to accompany your pup! Your backpack will include an info card with an emergency phone number, a map with a list of recommended destinations as well as a water bottle, towel, water bowl, towel, toy, treats, poop bags, “Adopt Me” banadana, and a doggy seatbelt.
If you love your experience and wish to support our homeless animals, additional donations are greatly appreciated.
Can I bring my own dog on the outing?
Although our Beach Buddies dogs are generally dog-friendly, we ask that your Beach Buddies dog be the only dog on your excursion. Our shelter dogs often share kennels so they benefit greatly from the one-on-one attention that Beach Buddies provides. Plus, being the only dog gives your Beach Buddy a chance to shine to potential adopters!
Can I request a specific size or breed of dog?
The majority of our Beach Buddies dogs are medium to large sized and may be strong. Due to the constant flux of dogs in and out of the shelter, we cannot fulfill requests to be paired with a dog that excludes specific breeds or sizes.
Is this program just for visitors?
All are welcome to participate in Beach Buddies, whether you’re a visitor or resident.
Where can we go with our dog?
The info card we provide will give you a general idea of where you can take your dog. Click here to view! We request that your excursion does not include the West Side (Lahaina/Ka’anapali) or the Road to Hana due to potential traffic issues. As some dogs have heat restrictions and other limitations, we may suggest that instead of the beach, you may want to venture Upcountry for beautiful forested hiking on the easy Waihou Spring Forest Reserve trail or the moderate Kahakapao Loop Trail in the Makawao Forest Reserve. Another destination option is that you may choose to take your dog out to lunch at one of our dog-friendly local restaurants that offer outdoor seating and shade.
Who do I call if I have any questions when I am out with my dog?
For non-emergencies (you are running late to return your dog, etc.), please call (808) 877-3680 ext. 224 or text 808-466-8701. For any emergencies, please call (808) 877-3680 ext. 222 which is our Humane Enforcement dispatch and they will help you.
For more information about Beach Buddies, email us or call (808) 877-3680 ext. 224.