Most dogs are at their best when they are out of the shelter. Some dogs require daily enrichment out of the shelter to keep their minds active and vibrant.
Our outing programs allow visitors and kama’aina alike to provide outing opportunities to our shelter dogs while getting to explore Maui’s beautiful aina.
Dog Outing Programs
We have recently pivoted our focus at Maui Humane Society towards providing community support and caring for the animals displaced by the recent wildfires. As a result, our regular dog outing programs have been shifting with the needs of the shelter and community. We hope to expand back to our full programming in the future. We appreciate your patience, understanding, and support as we find our footing and settle into our new norm.
Dog on Demand (DoD)
- Are you a confident dog walker/handler? Dog on Demand’s focus is to provide outing opportunities for the dogs that need it the most to spend time out of the shelter.
- Participating dogs are often young, large, or energetic. These dogs might still be perfecting their manners or leash skills.
- Click here for a complete overview of information and to access our booking page!
- Kama’aina Beach Buddies is available daily for trained volunteers to take a dog out. Learn more about becoming an MHS Volunteer.
- Our Beach buddies program for visitors has been temporarily put on hold, effective 9/18/23.
Sign up today and press PLAY with a dog for a day!
*You must be 18 years or older to sign up.*
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I bring with me?
We will provide a backpack full of supplies to accompany your pup! Your backpack will include an info card with an emergency phone number, a map with a list of recommended destinations, a water bottle, a water bowl, a towel, toys, treats, poop bags, an “Adopt Me” bandana, and a doggy seatbelt.
Can I bring my own dog on the outing?
Although our Beach Buddies dogs are generally dog-friendly, we ask that your Beach Buddies dog be the only dog on your excursion. Our shelter dogs often share kennels so they benefit greatly from the one-on-one attention that Beach Buddies provides. Plus, being the only dog gives your Beach Buddy a chance to shine to potential adopters!
Is this program just for visitors?
All are welcome to participate in Beach Buddies, whether you’re a visitor or resident.
Can I request a specific size or breed of dog?
The majority of our Beach Buddies dogs are medium to large sized and may be strong. Due to the constant flux of dogs in and out of the shelter, we cannot fulfill requests to be paired with a dog that excludes specific breeds or sizes.
Where can we go with our dog?
The info card we provide will give you a general idea of where you can take your dog. We request that your excursion does not include the West Side (Lahaina/Ka’anapali) or the Road to Hana due to potential traffic issues. As some dogs have heat restrictions and other limitations, we may suggest that instead of the beach, you may want to venture Upcountry for beautiful forested hiking on the easy Waihou Spring Forest Reserve trail or the moderate Kahakapao Loop Trail in the Makawao Forest Reserve. Another destination option is that you may choose to take your dog out to lunch at one of our dog-friendly local restaurants that offer outdoor seating and shade.
Who do I call if I have any questions when I am out with my dog?
For non-emergencies (you are running late to return your dog, etc.), please call (808) 877-3680 ext. 224 or text 808-466-8701. For any emergencies, please call (808) 877-3680 ext. 222 which is our Humane Enforcement dispatch and they will help you.
What happens if I fall in love with my outing dog?
We get it… it’s easy to fall in love with our pups! You have options:
- Adopt: Whether you live on Maui or you are visiting, our dogs would love to become part of your Ohana.
- Sponsor their training: Adoption fees are often times already waived or discounted, but you can still help ensure a smooth transition in their new home. By contributing to a Behavior Training Scholarship, you can provide four weeks of training for a donation of $136. Make sure to note “Behavior Training Scholarship for [your outing dog’s name]” in the donation form.
- Fly them to the mainland: Help fly MHS dogs to our transfer partners on the mainland via Wings of Aloha Angel flights on Alaska Airlines! The process is simple and free. All you need to do is email [email protected] and you will be prompted to provide your flight information. Should a scheduled animal transport match with your itinerary, we will be in touch!
- Donate: Make a gift to Maui Humane Society to support our pets and programs!
For more information about Beach Buddies, email us or call (808) 877-3680 ext. 224.