Did you lose or find a pet? File a report here.
Sunset is at 7:11pm on July 4, 2022, which means you should be prepared for fireworks well before then. Lahaina Fireworks are making a come back this year with firework displays starting at 8pm. From Lahaina to Wailea to Makawao, fireworks will be going off starting at dusk. Here is information on where organized fireworks are planned on island.
Below are some tips and advice to keep your pets/animals/livestock safe this year:
- Ensure your pet is microchipped and proper, up to date ID tags are worn
- Walk them/exercise during daylight hours to avoid times when fireworks are likely to be set off. Besides being a healthy thing to do, taking animals out for play and exercise earlier in the day can help burn off extra energy, which limits their anxiety later and helps them rest more soundly.
- Close windows and curtains to muffle the sound of fireworks
- Play calming music or tv well before the fireworks start. This will help to mask the firework sounds.
- Create a quiet space where your dog/cat/critter can feel safe and in control.
- Use calming pet pheromones in places your pet likes to rest.
- When possible do not leave your pet alone during fireworks. If you are going out, see if a friend or family member can pet sit your animals.
- If you know your animal suffers from noise phobias speak to your vet about medicines that can help.